So – he asked you and you said YES! You’ve found the PERFECT wedding photographer, picked out an amazing location for your engagement photoshoot, and now have some killer outfits for the shoot – GREAT! It’s now time to focus on the beauty details to make your engagement session even better, bride-to-be! In this post, I’m going to share a few points on why a professional makeup artist is important for your engagement session.
This is a really fun topic for me! Partly because my sister is a licensed and professional esthetician and makeup artist, so I know beautiful skin and makeup when I see it. But, I really do appreciate the art of makeup. As I mentioned in my previous engagement session post, professional makeup artists for engagement sessions are necessary and really makes the photographer’s job easier for your engagement shoot. Though my philosophy is, “makeup optional”, I do LOVE the way makeup naturally enhances a woman’s features. Before I divulge my top reasons for the importance of using a professional makeup artist, I need to stress the importance of preparing your skin at least 72 hours before your shoot by drinking lots of water and properly washing and treating your skin at night. Consulting a licensed esthetician or makeup artist is highly suggested to find the right products for your skin type.
What do I use to treat my skin, you ask? I’d love to share!
- Daily Face Wash: Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash (Pink Grapefruit YUMMY!)
- Weekly Scrub/Mask: St. Ives Apricot Scrub or Formula 10.0.06 Three Times Sublime
- Toner: Apple Cider Vinegar
- Daily Moisturizer: Garnier Moisture Rescue
- Daily Facial Serum: Pacifica Sea Change Future Youth Serum
Now that our skin is clean, toned and hydrated, let’s dive right into my 3 reasons a professional makeup artist for engagement sessions are important!
1. Professional makeup sets the visual and mental tone for the shoot.
Don’t lie, ladies! You know you feel amazing when your hair and makeup is done! It’s such a magical feeling which can only be summed up by the lyrics of my FAV Beyonce “I’m feelin’ myself! I’m feelin’ myself!” Let’s be real… without a doubt, most women absolutely HAVE to have their hair professionally done before their engagement shoot but opt to do their own makeup to save costs. Look, I totally understand saving money where you can but I would beg to say maybe you can reinvest the money for that outfit/shoes, into a polished finish with your makeup? It’s a detail I wouldn’t dare pass on.
2. Professional cameras tend to enhance textures and blemishes on camera.
By getting your makeup done professionally, your skin appears more smooth and your features are enhanced naturally. Compliment that with blush, highlight, lips and a beautiful outfit, and you’re super prepared for your photo shoot! I’d definitely prefer a lipstick that is matte or low gloss. And I’m sure you feel like a million bucks, right?! 🙂
3. Great way to use as a bridal trail for wedding day makeup.
One of the smartest reasons for getting your makeup done is because your engagement shoot can double as the bridal trial for your wedding day makeup. Bridal trials are a must and what better way than to kill two birds with one stone! Working with your makeup artist before the wedding day is just as important as working with your photographer. I hope this post is helpful! By combining the engagement session with the makeup bridal trial, you’re able to start envisioning what you’ll look like on the wedding day.
I hope this post is helpful! There has been and will be a ton of great information coming your way with the “With This Ring” blog series! We wanted to provide tips for brides and grooms coming straight from a photographers perspective. Make sure you check out the rest of the blogs to learn other great ideas on preparing for your engagement session!
Makeup Artist referrals:
- Vivian Wynter – Amplified Glamour | @VivianWynter | Vivian.Wynter@gmail.com (DMV)
- Denyelle D-Beauty – www.Denyelledbeauty.com | @Denyelledbeauty | email@example.com (DMV)
- Tiyana R. www.luxurybrownbeauty.com | @LuxuryBrownBeauty | LuxuryBrownBeauty@gmail.com (DMV)
- Tiffany Lumpkin – www.TiffanyLumpkin.com | @TiffanyLumpkin (DMV)
- Jacinta Inez – www.BeautyBeatDown.com | @BeautyBeatDown (DMV)
- Dionne Holley – www.DionneHolleyMUA.com | @Beautyby_Dionne (Atlanta)
- Jillian Nicole – @JillianNicole__ (Atlanta)
- Bonita Bey – @MakeupByBo | www.make-upbyBo.com (Pittsburg)
- Sara Negron – @MakeupBySin | Style Seat Page (Cleveland)
- Vershante White – @VershanteLynnArtistry (Cleveland)
Monday: “5 Reasons Why Engagement Sessions Are Important” (Terri Baskin)
Tuesday: “5 Tips for Choosing the Perfect Engagement Session Location” (Iris Mannings)
Wednesday: “What to Wear for your Engagement Session” (Mecca Gamble)
Thursday: “Why Professional Makeup Artists Are Important ” (Rhea Whitney)
Friday: “Making Your Engagement Session Unique” (Natarsha Wright)
Saturday: “What To Do With Your Engagement Photos” (Kamron Khan)
Special Giveaway for one lucky bride to be!
Enjoyed this post? Leave a comment or questions below for a chance to win a surprise gift!! Enter daily by leaving one comment on each writer’s blog post in this series (link listed above). Each comment left counts as 1 entry into the raffle. There are a maximum of 6 entries per person, so be sure to follow along. The lucky bride to be will be announced Sunday, February 14th!! It could be YOU!